Nuffnang Ads

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cari Makan: Fat Spoon @ Damansara Uptown.

For the last four years, I have been spending pretty much all my time in Australia.  Never did I have much exposure to the new eateries that KL had to offer.  My parents being inclined the restaurants we frequent are usually clueless about the newer places in town.  Fortunately, Yobi and his sister has tried plenty of places.  After some chat yesterday, another good place that is in his good books is Fat Spoon @ Damansara Uptown next to Hon Kee Porridge. Not much convincing was needed as Yobi’s girl Josephine acknowledges that place as a good eating house!  When we went in I felt comfortable immediately causatively by the decor which bears a strong resemblance in motive to the decor at the Moon cafe in Perth.  Random furniture composed like lyrical nodes to create that perfect atmosphere.  But this place took it further by only using furniture which has a strong Asian influence.

Be the judge, the culinary tools.  And more importantly, they used very same style of storage cupboard which my grandmother uses back in Taiping.  Classic huh?  There is a lot more to the decor to this place than what I have taken but it was pretty crowded then, so I did not go around nosing my camera at every detail that this place offered.
DSC_0142
DSC_0139
When we went there, we were handed these kid storybook (pic above) which have been converted to a menu.  But that was only after a several moments of neck twisting action from trying to read the menu off the blackboard.  Hesitating on what to order and what not to order, we finally settled for three rice dishes.  Truth be said, we were not even hungry because of the sandwiches at O’Brien but had to eat in order to catch the Reds in action.  Good ending for Liverpool at least :)!

After awhile, our food came.  After being promptly offered extra plates for sharing, we happily tucked into our food.
DSC_0145  Nasi Goreng Sambal served with Pappadam.  The chicken was well fried and the pickled vegetables were every bit as delicious as it should be in a dish like one.  The fried rice was tasty the chicken was yummy and the pickles tasted fresh with all the heavier offerings on the plate.

DSC_0149
Similar chicken and pickled vegetables might deceive but this fried rice was on an entirely different level from the other.  Cooked with finely chopped vegetables such  as lemon grass,  the Nasi Goreng Ulam had a hint of tom yam in it.  It was quite nice but one has to get used to the strong flavour.

Last up was the Nasi Kampung.
DSC_0150
The Nasi Kampung comes with Fat Spoon’s specialty Nonya Curry, Salted Egg, Stir fried beans and tamarind prawns.  My whole family thought it was pretty good although mom and dad preferred the other two.  I think the specialty curry did not stand out well enough.  However, the salted egg complimented the curry nicely.  My dad first told me about this combination a couple of years ago and ever since, I have found it to be very delicious!

DSC_0152
The offerings of this Rm14.90 meal was pretty decent.  Some prawns, chicken, vegetables and egg.  Pretty good value if compared to the 30 dollar Nasi Lemak at Madam Kwan’s.  A bit small but still, it was a whole lot of variety!

Lastly, when I saw this on the menu, I just had to try it.  Crème Caramel.
DSC_0155
Lol at Rm3.90 it was a steal.  But it tasted no different from the ones in the supermarket back in Oz.  So next time if I don't stay in Oz and start missing the diet crème caramel from the supermarkets, I’ll drop by again :P!

Liked this place, but I think coming here with friends might be more appropriate than with family.  Noisy bunch of teenagers make this place not so ideal for families.  I saw another family of three.  They look pretty out of place ahah.  Nonetheless, enjoyable!  Maybe noodles in my next visit!  Oh, I must not forget the super nice Iced Lemon Tea which was full of lemon taste.  This give me a reason to believe that their Rm9 hot chocolate will not be a rip off!

WenY