Nuffnang Ads

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Bites: Harvest Espresso @ Victoria Park (Spring menu)

I do not normally go Harvest.  But when I do, a new season starts.  My first post of this pint size establishment on the busy Albany highway backdates to January 13’ which was summer. It is now the 3rd season that I am coming here and because it is Spring, a new menu has been set.  Walking in, I received a familiar greeting that was both warm and welcoming.  On the menu, there were the sandwich staples but more importantly new hot food too.  As the weather has been unusually chilly, windy and wet, my mind quickly decided on the food to order. 

 

But before I had brunch, I shared a cake with my friends.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe almond-orange cake here is gluten-free (GF) which confirms my suspicions.  The only thing which disagreed was my tongue.   Unlike most gluten-free cakes which ChompChomp and my friends describe as dry, and often dense, the one here was so yummy.  Along with a decadent cream cheese frosting, this was absolutely delicious.  It felt in no way like a gluten-free slice. But could this be a case of me having to many bad GF cakes or was this simply good? I shall let you decide! :)

 

My brunch for the chilly morning was a Seasonal Mushroom RaguOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERADelicious earthy mushroom flavors with creamy polenta.  The only problem was that I drank the delicious sauce like soup without mixing it up first.  That caused the polenta to feel lacking in seasoning.  Good thing was that it was such a hearty dish that compensated the dull weather.   Great when shared with friends! It might be a little daunting to eat all the creamy polenta alone!

 

Next dish up was the Braised Beef Cheek Pie which takes 15 minutes and is baked fresh upon ordering.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere, the flaky filo pastry creates an opening scene for the perfectly braised beef cheeks.  Its flavors were strong and is easily any bovine lover’s heaven.  But all hell breaks loose if you are slightly more conservative like my mates who found it too beefy.  I found the beef and carrots palatable but wanted more sweetness perhaps from some baby onions.  Already dreaming of it cheekily as I type this post hehehe.  Once finished, grab your fork and dismantle the graceful celeriac remoulade.  I am not sure what a remoulade is but the celeriac slaw was spot on to cleanse the mouth from the beef I had before!  My mates enjoyed the slaw heaps.

 

Next up was the Baked Almond Brioche which I would describe as a Spring splendorOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERALike celebrating Spring in the  garden, beautiful colors graced the plate.  The toasted brioche was crusty outside, and fluffy on the inside with a rich buttery fragrance.  A lovely toast to enjoy the well-poached strawberries with the little bits of crunchy muesli and raisins giving it more texture.  Also, the panna cotta which used my favourite English tea, Chamomile tasted delicious as it stood prettily next to the brioche. The duo felt perfect together.  The taste was good but visually, it was a spectacular feat.  It was like having breakfast and dessert together :)!

 

Baked Almond Brioche with Chamomile Pannacotta, Poached Fruit and MuesliOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI am not sure how many fans does Harvest Espresso have out there but I definitely am one of them.  A season-based menu keeps things interesting and so far, this has been one of the very few brunch places in Perth which I have not ordered the boring “big breakfast” because there simply is not a need to do so.  Harvest Espresso, keep it up ;)!

 

WenY

Harvest Espresso on Urbanspoon