Nuffnang Ads

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Bites: Sayers Sister @ Northbridge

A small parcel of land can only fit so many good restaurants from my experience.  In Vic Park, we see A Spicy Affair serving delicious curries alongside the Prophet’s Lebanese  cuisine with V Burger just opposite.  In North Perth, Nine Fine Food is just beside Nahm Thai and just around the corner, Sayers Sister.  Its older restaurant Sayers is definitely one of the best in the brunch business.  But is it’s younger sibling Sayers Sister's any good? Coming in at 11am, we had to put up with a 45 minute wait.  Ordering at the counter, we waited for another 45 minutes for the food to come out.  They were clearly a favourite among the locals.  But with a wait that long, my expectations were high.

 

Ed’s Bubble and Squeak @ $19OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis came arranged perfectly with a thick bacon steak at the bottom topped with poached eggs, wilted spinach, potato cake and hollandaise.  Whilst he enjoyed this for most parts, his comment as a “typical diner” was that perhaps the thick bacon cut made the dish saltier than what he would have liked.

 

 

My pick was the Lemon Myrtle & mustard seed enoki, button, field, brown & oyster mushrooms, Bacon & fried egg on toasted brioche & fig chutney (I think it was fig)OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe flavors here worked for me.  Brioche, and the perfectly cooked mushrooms with a whiff of lemon myrtle went nicely with the salty bacon and a hint of sweetness from the chutney.  But I think I would have liked poached eggs with this one.  A runny yolk would have wrapped the whole dish up nicely as it blends the flavors together more nicely.  Then again, that is just a personal preference.  But for $18.50, this was quite a steal!  So much technicality for a small price tag.

 

 

XL ordered the Buttermilk Pancakes with Caramelized Banana  $16.50.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAFor $16.50, the pancakes were humungous.  And I would be extremely happy if they were executed.  But on a busy Sunday morning, these pancakes were stodgy as hell with the inside feeling sticky from uncooked batter.  When I asked, the waitress said the syrup have sipped in… I am not much of a blogger if I fell for that right?  I can immediately tell that the Sunday rush has got to them.  Even the bananas were coated in slightly gritty coating, not the beautiful caramelization I expected.  Not the best and I immediately got a refund.  I looked around the internet to see the picture of people’s pancakes here … none looked as crappy as the one she was served.  Disappointing. Very. 

 

Paying a 1.5 hour wait for decently cooked breakfast it quite a put off especially when all you wanted is a smooth sailing Sunday.  But I have to commend the efforts of the staff to keep diners away from hunger with the free muffins.  The service here was poor on a Sunday and so would be a Saturday.  For many reasons, I feel that the cafĂ© is a let down due to its inability to serve the crowd.  But come any other day and you will be blow away.  So maybe next time I will either be first in or a week day.  For now, it will be Sayers.

 

WenY

Sayers Sister on Urbanspoon