Nuffnang Ads

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bites: Ying Thai 2 @ Lygon St. (Melbourne)

Kelvin is not with us at the moment.  He went off with his friends to a national park in Bright before heading off the Alpines for a ski.  Before he left though, we went for something with a higher temperature to keep him warm during his trip hoho! THAI FOOD @ Ying Thai 2.  This little eatery has long been a famous eatery.  And there is no secrecy to its existence considering the queue during dinner and the lack of tables during lunch.  My fellow friends and readers (I hope there are some >.<) know that I’m a sucker for Thai food.  But only good ones though.  But luckily enough I have not had any sucky ones.  From my trip to Bangkok to S & T in Perth and now Ying Thai 2. Wow!  Undeniably, these were really good food.  Cleanliness in Bangkok well, it is something else but it was not detriment to me in anyway.

IMG_7087 The interior is simple but felt as if we were in some fancy back lane cafe in Bangkok. Liked the drawings depicting village kids spinning the tops like the classics engaged in a road side battle.

 

We were looking at the menu to decide what would best suit our hungry tummies and looking up and about the papers, we decided to go with the lunch set menu.  I think part of our decision was caused by the pricey cost of the rice.  Its 3 bucks per head =.=!!

 

What we ordered?IMG_7090This is one of the best Thai food available.  Spicy minced meat with holy basil!  Forgot what it is called but oh boy! Its lovely! The only downside with this version at Ying Thai 2 is the spiciness level was nowhere within Kelvin’s region spiciness.  It is our fault really.  We only asked for mild spiciness.

 

IMG_7089Xin Ling’s tom yam soup here is every bit as Thai as it should be.  From the clarity to the tastiness.  Its a blast.  Its typically how my uncle Teow Loon would made it from scratch.  I know they had Kafir lime leaf, dried chillies, tomatoes, fish sauce I guess? And other extras hehe.  Really tasted delicious.  Maybe we will go there one more time and have it with extra chilli as Xin Ling confesses to a certain thrill when she is busy gasping for air to cool her burning tongue :)!

 

IMG_7093This was my Thai red curry with duck meat.  I’ve always avoided curries when I go to Thai restaurants but I knew I was in no position to resist when I saw this curry on the menu.  My first experience of a beautiful duck curry was on a flight to Bangkok on Silk Air.  The roast duck curry I had on the flight was by far the most tantalising meal I have ever had on an flight.  Even beating the juicy steak on the Malaysian Airlines night flight to Australia.  I was only 12 when I had that curry and this curry was close to replicating that experience.  The thick flavoursome curry going nicely with the addition of a rich and aromatic coconut milk.  My god. Its taste was totally smack!  Even after I was done, Kelvin happily spooned the remains into his mouth.  I cannot blame him really.  It is after all a wonderful serve of curry.  The only downside was the serve of duck meat was a little insufficient.  I know I only paid 10 bucks which is far too cheap for a serve of Thai food but I was hoping for a little more meat. ahah

 

By the end of the meal, we were all filled to the brim.  The serve of rice is really large.  But I almost wanted to order one more serve to go together with my curry but luckily I had some self control ahah.  Finalising this post, Ying Thai 2 on Lygon street is a MUST go.  Unless you are from Thailand that is.  The price for the set menu is really cheap and if you are going for dinner, do not be bothered by the price of the rice.  The serve of meat seems pretty damn large.  And if you’re having curry, rice overload is not an option.  Its definitely a must.  I have not tried but I think the green curry would not be any lesser (in taste) than the red one.

 

WenY