Nuffnang Ads

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cari Makan: Breakfast stall @ Pasar Pagi Taman Megah

The food scene in Malaysia is immense. While there is no Michelin ranted hype nor the fancy pansy hatted awards in Australia, the yummiest bites in Malaysia can come from the simplest and most unglamorous places.  This simplest place is no further than the local morning market (pasar pagi).  Cleanliness might be a concern for most.  But for me, I’m a true local.  I could not care less. 
However, a few steps have been taken by the local authority to improve the cleanliness of these places and one such step is by setting up proper complexes to house the vendors.  A bit saddening because the “pasar” feel is now a distant memory.  But that is ok, the old Chinese couple operating the brekkie stall in the market is still there :).  My mom and dad gets food from them for me on the weekends ho!ho!  So, what are my breakfast picks from this stall?

The economy fried noodles.
IMG_0341
There is practically nothing on there besides heaped carbs. But that is all I really need for a good start to my day.  The taste is unbeatable.  It might not be the typical Malay sambal but it looks down on every sambal/chilli paste in Australia.  And do not be fooled by the word economy.  The old couple charge a premium for it but that is probably the privilege they earn from the ever growing crowd!

My next pick is the Nasi Lemak Biasa.  Yes, the serve is small in Malaysia and 2 is just about nice for me!
IMG_0346
Small little nibble sized crispy anchovies are the secret addition to this packed little goodness.  And I always complain about how cafes serve half an egg.  Look at this.  Probably one tenth of an egg. WTF. =.=!  Nonetheless, it was every bit as enjoyable as the fried noodles. 
On a separate note, this rice dish and I go a long time back to primary school where my usual routine is guy punching and girl fighting.  Waking up at 6.45am to eggs and milk did not fill me up.  So my dad used to bring my lunch box to this couple to be filled with the exact same dish with added curry chicken :)!  And how long ago was that?  I’d say 15 years.  Yes folks!  15 years and they are still serving.  They’d probably be driving Mercs and Beemers by now.

That is all I shall talk about today.  Lovely morning breakfast packed by mom and dad.  Awesome possum thanks parents!

WenY